The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia awards grants for translations of contemporary literary works from Switzerland, with an eye to promoting cultural and linguistic diversity and helping Swiss authors reach larger audiences, both within the country and around the world.
Pro Helvetia’s Translate Swiss Books platform serves to promote Swiss literature in the national and international arena. The website presents newly published books in all four national languages of which we would be happy to support the translation into other languages. This selection however does not claim to be exhaustive: of course other Swiss books can profit from Pro Helvetia’s support for translation. Funding does not depend on a presentation on this website.
Pro Helvetia supports the translation of:
- literary works by Swiss authors (fiction and poetry)
- books for children and young adults
- non-fiction books by Swiss authors on cultural and artistic topics relating to Switzerland
- plays by Swiss dramatists (including theatre surtitles)
- samples of up to 15 pages upon request
To help promote Swiss literature in translation, Pro Helvetia also contributes financially to literary tours by Swiss authors and translators of recently translated books.
For more information, visit translateswissbooks.ch